On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 2:52 PM, Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/11/2017 19:36, Yuri Astrakhan wrote:
>
> > That's why I think Sophox is a much better and safer alternative to
> JOSM's autofixes.
>
> At the risk of repeating something that's been said multiple times
> previously, with JOSM autofixes you're performing edits in an area where
> you've already edited.  You're presumably somewhat familiar with what's
> there (you may even have actually visited in person and seen what it looks
> like on the ground). With your "tool" you're simply performing a mechanical
> edit with no experience of the underlying data.

Andy, as I stated before, JOSM doesn't force you to edit in your area - it
shows you whatever data you download. OverpassT can provide it to JOSM
anywhere too. Your query in Sophox can be limited to an area, or can be
anywhere - it all depends on the task's query. Also, you keep misusing the
word "mechanical edit" (per wiki definition, see my other email).  Don't
dilute the term.

My main point remains - doing a "by-the-way fixing" is worse than dedicated
effort to fix one issue at a time. Tagging experts who studied specific
issue, and who reviewed all relevant wiki notes and comment are better than
a local user who auto-accepts all JOSM-suggested fixes because they sound
reasonable, but who might have missed all the nuances of the specific tag
change. This makes it unrevertable and impossible to find. Also, it's bad
because if a user doesn't accept them, a subsequent editor eventually
will.  Local expertise needs to be balanced with tagging task expertise -
and sorry, there is no unicorn, who knows both perfectly.

In Rory's example - you cannot find who changed what in the past 16 months
for the bathroom autofix. You cannot revert it, because it is mixed with
others. My tool solves that, because experts can review it, and later
experts in that specific issue can review all found cases, and spot
errors.  Even if one person doing a Sophox task spots an error and tags it
as invalid, we can easily notice it and adjust or remove the task, and
easily revert all changes made for that task.