I'd like to reiterate that (much like riverbanks) the shoreline of a lake
can change far faster than the river channel. While the area maps the
"usual" extent (ignoring droughts and floods), the line is a very useful
abstraction.

Not connecting rivers into a network invalidates the idea of a network in
the first place and will lead to loss of data usefulness. This might lead
to wide rivers no longer getting a centerline (bacause what's the point if
everyone must work with the areas?) and will set a precedent that might get
used by (for example) highway:area proponents to do the same to the road
network. (No offence to the proponents of highway:area intended.) I'm
almost curious as to what mayhem would replacing roads with areas cause.

Should we not go the opposite direction and make sure that all rivers are
either tributaries, or flow into an ocean or a lake that would get tagged
with "no outflow"? I wouldn't be surprised to find out that someone already
does that.