My experience from all the humanitarian responses. Yes, it is important to know
the territory and adapt.
For the North of Mali humanitarian response in early 2013, people had
difficulty to identify villages, flooded by water on the available images with
the rainy season that last 6 months. In desertic regions it is also very
difficult sometimes to spot houses if images are not clear enough.
For me this offers a good challenge, not to delete nodes but to find houses and
add to OSM !
And yes, often, there are no roads in small african villages. Also in  some
villages, we cannot identify what is private, what is public, and people walk
in all directions. We need to observe an area, understand how it is organized.

Pierre

    Le dimanche 8 avril 2018 17 h 08 min 47 s HAE, Warin