On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 08:16:08PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 04/24/2018 07:23 PM, Paul Norman wrote:
> > If there's agreement that there is a problem here, I could look at
> > preparing a mechanical edit or MapRoulette challenge to add name:* tags,
> > e.g. adding name:en to objects in the US with other name:* tags, and
> > adding name:zh in China. As an estimate, this would be 115k changes in
> > China, touching 28% of roads there.
>
> Even if there should be agreement that there is a problem here, there
> are other potential solutions.
>
> Someone once suggested to have a special tag that indicates which name
> tag should be used by default. I.e. we'd have tons of "name:xx" tags
> plus one tag called e.g. "language=en", that would then mean: The
> default name to use is the name:en name.
>
> I think this would be more elegant than the duplication that you are
> suggesting.

That still doesn't scale. You will have a hard time to convince mappers
to repeatedly add something to objects for which there is an obvious
default. This really should be solved at least partially in software.

I'd like to point to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim/Country_Codes
again. This list is a good place to start when you want to guess the
language a name tag is in and solves the case for monolingual coutries.
Multilingual countries tend to be more sensitive to the language issue
so that coverage with name:* tags tends to be better.

Also don't mix up the issue of languages and scripts. name:zh is
a point in case where knowing the language doesn't help you if you
want to present the users the map in their favourite script. name:zh
will normally contain Pidgin but may also have traditional Chinese
from time to time.

I strongly recommend to have a look into Sven's work on the German
mapnik style, which has been trying to address a lot of issues with
localized maps: https://github.com/giggls/mapnik-german-l10n

Sarah