Paul Norman wrote:
> If there's agreement that there is a problem here, I could look
> at preparing a mechanical edit or MapRoulette challenge to add
> name:* tags, e.g. adding name:en to objects in the US with
> other name:* tags, and adding name:zh in China. As an
> estimate, this would be 115k changes in China, touching 28%
> of roads there.

This is pretty fragile too, though. Two minutes after the mechanical edit, a
newbie will come along and change the name= tag on a random American road
from MLK Boulevard to Martin Luther King Boulevard, without knowing they now
have to change the name:en= tag as well. Bang, inconsistent data. Fast
forward two years and a bunch of history-losing way splits, and it's no
longer clear which is the accurate street name and which is the original,
mistaken TIGER-imported one.

In theory you could bake support for this into editing software (at the
expense of complicating the interface), but even if JOSM, iD, Vespucci and
P2 all add support, the name= tag is probably the most likely to be changed
by minority editors (e.g. mobile or 'quick fix' apps) and it's unlikely
they'll all add the same logic.

Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> This language=en tag would be placed on a administrative
> relation, right?

If I read Frederik's proposal right, the language=en tag would be placed on
the object with the name tag, though putting it on admin relations is an
interesting idea.

Richard

--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/General-Discussion-f5171242.html