INSPIRE sets the framework for geospatial (meta)data in the EU and requires
member states to commit to having certain types of data available in a defined
exchange format. When I was involved in this more closely, there was not the
assumption that the data would be free (as in beer), and as far as I know the
conditions of availability to citizens were not enshrined in the INSPIRE
directive.

NL makes a lot of spatial data under INSPIRE freely available, see
https://www.pdok.nl/en

Sent from my iPhone