On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 6:34 PM Christoph Hormann <o...@imagico.de> wrote:

> > The content stored in Wikibase is editable by wiki users using a
> > regular wiki account, same as with other wiki pages.
>
> This i have no doubts about - but this is not the question.  The
> question is who is de facto in control of the information and in
> particular who defines what information is considered valid and what
> not.  And by designing the interfaces through which information and
> rules are entered you can pretty well control who will actually control
> the information.

Current system - one must know wiki markup to edit description, know how to
structure template parameters, how to create new pages and copy magical
parameters, translatewiki syntax, etc.  New system (once implemented): you
simply click "edit" next to the description of a key, it takes you to the
description page, you click edit again and modify existing description in a
clear form. To add a new language, switch to that language in the upper
right corner if you haven't already, and again - use edit and add the
description.

Unless you suggest that only those who understand wiki markup are allowed
to edit descriptions, the new system is clearly easier.  Also, noone is
stopping us from creating additional dedicated "description editors" -
where you can modify it via some other interface, but still using your wiki
login.

Note that neither old nor new system addresses the "who has the right to
change stuff", and "whose edit is correct".  If you want to propose it -
sure, but even then the new system allows us to build it, whereas the old
one does not.

> I am fine with editing the wiki to document tags, i am also fine with
> the various templates in there even if they are sometimes cumbersome to
> understand.  And i acknowledge that technologically the way templates
> are used in the OSM wiki is a dead end.  But this whole wikibase thing
> is repulsive to me in the way it communicates the human editor is
> supposed to serve the computer system and not the other way round.  The
> very idea of making up numerical identifiers for keys and tags which by
> definition already are unique identifiers is ridiculous.

You shouldn't worry about numeric identifiers. If you want, I can even show
you how you can hide them from your interface (using CSS). They are not
needed when editing descriptions.  Also, editing template parameters is
also "serving the computer system".

Long story short:  You will never get me to enter or edit tag
> documentation in such an interface which makes me think i have time
> traveled to the last century.

You mean wiki markup-style editing is 21st century? Seriously?

>   You will also not get me to write
> documentation in a place where non-human editors (a.k.a. bots) are
> allowed to modify what i wrote.

Bot is used to initially copy descriptions from the other wiki pages. Once
created, it will not modify description.  Other tools may -- e.g. JOSM or
iD editor could ask the user to enter/modify description in their language,
but it won't be automated. Consider iD editor as an alternative UI to the
wikibase, but the edit will show up as a regular user edit, not a bot.

>   Apart from that if you find a way to
> improve they way in which tag documentation is stored and processed
> without sacrificing ergonomics and intuitive adaptability of the way it
> is entered for typical mappers i will be all for it.

Per above, I think it already does - editing template params is by far less
intuitive than filling out a "description" filed in your language.  Also,
it is possible to make a description editor that appear directly in the tag
page (e.g. with a js gadget).