On 29/09/18 07:21, john whelan wrote:
I drifted down to a government conference on open data and software today and whilst there a question came up concerning proximity to a hospital.

Just a planner wondering where to put it to maximise the ease of access for as many people as possible.

You can route plan for walking and driving a car but what can you do for public transport.

Essentially it is how many buildings are within 1 km for pedestrians, 3 km for cyclists, 7 km for a car.  I've chosen arbitrary numbers but public transit is quite different.  If you live within a 5 minute walk of a bus stop on a route that goes past the hospital then its easy to get to but how do you find these locations using OpenStreetMap data?

Many cities have had their bus stops imported. If you are in one of these what else is needed to work it out?

The information is worth money.  The right location makes a business or amenity more valuable.

Here proximity to to a train station is worth more money than proximity to a bus stop. Within 1 km of a train station is where developers and purchases of apartments want them and they will pay more for that proximity.

What do we have?

Train stations are usually well represented in OSM data.
Bus stops are not so well represented, this will depend on the local mappers so it is area dependant.

Is this the right forum to raise the problem?

Thanks John