On 10/12/2018 19:33, Michael Reichert wrote:

> Did you consult the working group being involved in boundary
> disputes (DWG and LWG) before you came to that decision?

I'm not on the board but I can answer one of those - a statement was issued to the DWG and LWG on Tuesday last week saying that the previous situation was to remain in effect.  Previous to that Martijn had (as OSMF secretary) contacted us (the DWG) to say that a complaint had been received, and I replied with the timeline of the decision process (who complained to us, what we then did, etc.), and then with some more clarification that Martijn asked for.  As I understand it, the 3 DWG members on the OSMF board recused themselves from the decision-making process.

As others have said, it will be interesting to read the full explanation when it is ready.  These decisions are never easy - I'm sure that there was careful consideration before reaching it (as there was before the DWG reached its decision too).

Looking forwards rather than backwards, we do however have something of a problem.  We have two OSMF policies that directly contradict each other - https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/w/images/d/d8/DisputedTerritoriesInformation.pdf and the originally "short term" https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Working_Group_Minutes/DWG_2014-06-05_Special_Crimea .  Others have made the case for verifiability as being at the root of everything we do, which led to the addition of "de facto" borders to OSM; I don't need to repeat those arguments.  We have however always tried to allow people to make their own maps that show their view of the world (DisputedTerritoriesInformation.pdf has said almost exactly that since 2013).  Unfortunately people see some map tiles at OpenStreetMap.org and think that those are somehow "the only view that OSM has" despite OSM containing far more data, especially about the nuances of different sorts of boundaries, than one representation can possibly show.

I've said many times before that we need to try and make this process as easy as possible, in particular the "my country has a claimed extent of X which is verifiable on the ground" case. There's currently discussion on the tagging list and in the wiki to try and make this happen.  And no, picking someone else's criteria ("The UN", the CIA's "World Factbook", or anything else) for boundaries isn't going to work - there are simply too many edge cases.  Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AivEQmfPpk if you haven't already seen it for some of the gory detail.

Best Regards,

Andy Townsend (from OSM's Data Working Group)