Hi,

I would not be surprised if this was more of a rural/urban divide than a country divide.

We had run a building for 15 years without an official address here in Germany, Wuppertal (has more than 350k inhabitants):
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/190295244

To cut the story short:

It had been a former signal box, and as such it had been under federal control. The local government simply had not even been allowed to assign an official address, because the land parcel had been exempt from its administration.

We've got utility supply, received post and had a phone landline. All to the never-offical address. The local council did naturalize the address once they were allowed to because the designation of the railway line's land changed. Similar cases can stem from:
- other laws interfering
- pending court trials
- boundaries across the premises
- human error
- internal technical requirements (Florian Lohoff's example)
- historical reasons
- acccumulating update delays
and probably more.

On another premises, the garbage collection address has been distinct from the signposted address, because the house had been located on a street corner and the utility had a meaningful idea where the trash collection did least degradation to general traffic. The different address meant a different collection schedule.

I'm pretty confident that similar cases exist in Cologne (more than 1M inhabitants) and Berlin (more than 5M inhabitants). I would be surprised not to find them all over the world.

For other types of data, I remeber at least three larger issues where the flow of information is reversed: the owing entity deemed its data so unreliable that they re-surveyed the data in OSM and copied it back to their database.

Best regards,

Roland