I understood John's question very differently.

Essentially as "what are the benefits to our municipality of being
present in detail on OSM" not using the data or even contributing to it,
just as they are not likely to contemplate that for the goog or Here.

My short take on it would be: "because people can find stuff then".

The slightly longer version is that there are likely economic benefits
of many different kinds (traffic control, real estate, marketing and so
on) that are difficult to quantify but are likely there.

Simon