Apr 20, 2019, 10:27 AM by joc...@remote.org:

> On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 10:02:34AM +0200, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
>
>> What you expect to find by searching for "GPS"? The problem
>> is not that there are searches that will return many archive pages
>> (I guess that "rejected" will get plenty of failed proposals), but
>> that someone is searching for something specific and unable to find
>> it due to large number of archived pages.
>>

> Exactly. I expect to find information about GPS, about GPS use in OSM,
> about GPS receivers, about software to work with GPS traces, etc. So I
> expect to find exactly what I found. Except that I expect to find 10
> useful pages, not 5. If the outdated pages were not there, who knows
> what useful pages I might have found!

I am more interesting is some real search case. I cannot imagine situation
where someone would want to find pages about software to work with GPS traces
and about GPS use in OSM and information about GPS and pages
about GPS receivers, but only pages that were updated recently.

Searching some extremely generic term like GPS will get you poor results,
even after deleting all pages on OSM WIki that you are not planning to use.

BTW, internal mediawiki search is horrible.
I would recommend searching GPS site:wiki.openstreetmap.org on an external
search engine.
for example https://duckduckgo.com/?q=GPS+site%3Awiki.openstreetmap.org
<https://duckduckgo.com/?q=GPS+site%3Awiki.openstreetmap.org>