On Sun, Jul 7, 2019 at 3:46 AM Pierre Béland <pierz...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Speaking more generally,
> Populatation is growing fast in Africa and many african countries dont
> have the resources to organize regular census. See the UN Statistics
> Division record of last census by country
> https://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/sources/census/censusdates.htm
>
> This means that quality vary from one country to the other and that often
> we lack good info about distribution of population in the various
> countries.  The OSM building mapping projects are often used for population
> estimates.

This is exactly the reason we threshold the visualization into just three
population classes: population dataset behind it is using classified
satellite imagery multiplied with census counts.
We're not much interested in exact population counts for this task, rather
whether there's something on satellite that's worth inspecting and probably
mapping.

Darafei Praliaskouski
Kontur.io