On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 3:59 PM Greg Troxel <g...@lexort.com> wrote:

> Dave F via talk <talk@openstreetmap.org> writes:
>
> > In my area, AL are adding legitimate data which helps improve the
> > quality of the OSM database. I believe they make the same amount of
> > errors as any other contributors, including experienced ones.
> >
> > Unsure why he thinks OSMF should be keeping an eye on contributors
> > purely because they're paid.
> > I doubt Paul, when he started his first *paid* job was an expert at
> > it, & never made a mistake.
> >
> > It sounds like Paul's got his knickers in a twist over something other
> > than poor quality data.
>
> This really seems unfair.
>
> When someone maps for OSM because they want to, they have goals and a
> typically a good attitude about community norms.
>
> When someone is a a paid mapper, their goals come from the person who is
> paying them, and they don't necessarily care about the overall health of
> OSM.

This is accurate.  I don't consider it unreasonable to expect a paid mapper
to have a higher level of professionalism and due care than the
volunteers.  So, I will say, I am *definitely not* holding the Amazon
Logistics mappers to the same standard I hold other volunteers.  I hold
them to *a much higher standard*.

> Really these edits are not so different from mechanical
> edits, and I think the organizers need to own the responsibilility for
> high quality, and the standard should be quite a bit better than normal
> hand mapping norms.

 I honestly don't think we could get worse results than Amazon Logistics is
contributing now if we outsourced map editing to Amazon Mechanical Turk for
a penny an edit.