> Mapbox also has a whitelabling option for customers to remove the logo from
> Mapbox tiles. But again, we're talking about the tile service. It would be
> quite reasonable for OSM to add a logo to the OSM tiles and make keeping that
> logo on there a condition of using OSM tiles.
> Mapbox employees have contributed to OSM for years. That data belongs to
> Mapbox but is shared with the world through OSM and ODbL. Attribution for
> that doesn't appear on-map unless the user is also using Mapbox tiles.

So, if I understood it correctly, you're implying that it's totally
fine to hide data source attribution several clicks away or not
attributing at all? And that the attribution on the corners of the map
are only feasible if you're using OSM's tiles?

What I don't understand is the positioning of corporate users of OSM.
Sure, Mapbox has a business model that depends on attribution and even
then you're obliged to follow their terms of use and policies if you
choose their service. How is that different from OSM? Both provide the
same services, you can choose both Mapbox and OSM for tiles or data,
and even then, you are required to follow their licenses and
terms/policies.

Let's take a look at a situation. If I use Mapbox and remove their
attribution, I'm violating their terms and could have my service
suspended or legal action could be taken. OSM is exactly the same; if
you don't attribute or hide attribution you're violating the terms of
the license.

It looks like that corporate users are lobbying for relaxing
attribution guidelines so they don't have to bother properly
attributing data that comes from an open database. Asking again, why
is it so difficult to just add a piece of text on the map attributing
OSM? You're not paying to use that data as it's free, and now you
don't even want to acknowledge the hard work volunteers have put into
making OSM a great geodata database.

I thought it would be different with Mapbox as I've seen several
projects that use it with OSM data, but it looks like every corporate
user has a similar opinion regarding attribution.

--
Atenciosamente,
Alexandre Oliveira.