By quoting the board statement i did not really intend to argue with the
authors of said document about the exegesis of it - that would be kind of
pointless.

What i want to express is that this is a good practical case study how much
commitment the board members have in their practical communication with the OSM
community to open communication channels and platforms.  As (like you and
Martin point out) individual board members but still in their capacity as board
members and not as a group of private individuals.

We have a saying in German that goes "wie man in den Wald hineinruft so schallt
es heraus".  So if the board boldly advertises their commitment to open
communication channels and then holds an exclusive event on a proprietary
platform said board will have a hard time dealing with corporations boldly
communicating their commitment to OpenStreetMap, community rules, OSMF policy,
the license or similar things but then practically not living up to said
promises from the perspective of the board or the OSM community.

Language can be a powerful tool of social interaction but your ability to use
it to that effect depends on you having and maintaining the reputation to be
earnest, concise, well-defined and dependable in your communication - not only
from your own perspective but also from that of the recipients of the
communication.  If people have the impression that they cannot rely on what you
say - and it does not matter if that is due to them misreading your
communication or you being vague in it - you loose the ability to effectively
communicate with people.  As a result you would massively narrow your social
horizon to those people who are culturally close and like-minded to you.

Back on subject - the solution to the problem here to be able to reach out to
people on reddit who are more comfortable there than on open platforms while
not being exclusive in my eyes could be fairly simple - you just allow
questions on both reddit and open platforms and you post answers on both
equally as well.  Yes, that is additional work.  But commitment without
inconveniences is ultimately not really commitment.

We even have a practical reference for Q&A in the OSMF context on open
platforms by the way.  Before the board decided there to be a need for
moderation (which was never re-evaluated afterwards by the way) in the lead-up
to the board elections we had open Q&As on the OSM wiki with the candidates.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/