I've been considering the downsides of using a proprietary channel when
I was invited to participate. My thinking is:

* The questions and answers are publicly visible. (Yes, Reddit may nag
you sign up or install their app – close that noise.)
* Spanholz, the user who has been most active in organizing this AMA,
has already offered to post questions on behalf of other people. So you
can send in your questions without needing to sign up to reddit.

For something that's not an official event (just something individual
board members participate in), these options seem good enough.

Is it ideal? No, and I would be more than happy to participate in an
event hosted on our open platforms. But it's an initiative that I want
to encourage, as I hope it could get more OSM community members
interested in foundation matters, and the foundation could use more
active participation. It would be even better if community members took
the initiative to run more fun events on our self-hosted platforms –
that would probably do more to make them more lively and active than the
board could ever hope to achieve with its decrees.

(And of course you can ask questions on OSM channels around the year, no
need to wait for an "AMA". I know I don't need to tell that to you in
particular, but I wish the bulk of the community was less shy about
speaking up on OSMF issues.)

On 29.10.20 21:30, Christoph Hormann wrote:
> So i suppose you will circumnavigate any subject related to OSMF governance
> or the election and that you will not refer to what is going to be said there
> in any future discussion of OSMF matters (because then it would need to be
> considered as part of a consultation by the board).

Not every communication between a member of the board and one or more
community member(s) constitutes a "consultation". It's good to be wary
about slippery slopes, but this just doesn't make the cut.