Dear all,

I'm calling back a discussion on this mailing list on how Maps.Me edits
most of the times result to be very bad and close to vandalism. Furthermore
it seems the editor hasn't any notification system (as iD and JOSM) to tell
the user that at least someone sent an OSM message.

We found out some users mapping very bad (and huge quantity) of POIs here
and there in:
- DRC: An user mapping over all the country, including sensible, temporary
data like an assault place in Irumu
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/8018353585#map=19/1.45249/29.87712
(mapped as shop=butcher, with questionable dark sarcasm), plus many other
questionable ones
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/format%20answer/history#map=10/1.2949/29.9117
- Mali: An user putting thousands of office=government in Bamako and other
cities, making impossible to produce decent urban maps out of OSM data
within a capital city...
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/seydoukone/history#map=11/12.6172/-7.9153

What worries me the most is that no one of these users are answering to
messages (and it's very common among Maps.Me users as I see...) and even if
they could be reverted, nothing is letting them know that they are actually
vandalising the map. It's difficult also to proceed with full reverts
because some tags from time to time seem reasonable, but can be challenging
to verify on the ground.

I'm actually wondering about the causes of such bad tags, is Maps.Me using
preset names which are difficult to associate to actual tags? Should it be
mandatory for OSM editors to show OSM notifications? It seems also Maps.Me
itself is difficult to contact!! https://github.com/mapsme/omim/issues/13951

Thank you,
Michael Montani