[ I've been trying to stay out of the election to the board, because as a
current board member I'll be working with 3 of the candidates after the
election, but I must respond to this. ]

There are many examples of people excusing how Trump acted before the 2016
election, claiming he would be “presidential” when elected, and you had to
choose the example regarding sexual assault? Seriously?

You could have pointed out Trump's nepotism (before & after election), his
horrible business/economic skills, his brash, rude and condescening manner of
speaking, his history of brazely lying, and you had to go with _that_ example?

While disregarding the OSM licence is bad, it is no way comparible to sexual
assault. By equating the two, you're diminising the seriousness of a type of
crime which is already treated too lightly by many cultures & communities, and
which statistically disproportionally affects women & nonbinary people. I don't
know what you intended to communicate, but people will hear someone who doesn't
think sexual assault isn't very bad. People will think you're not to be trusted
with issues like this. That's why it wasn't tone policing.

I'm pretty sure Trump didn't think that action was loathsome BTW, why do you
think he boasted about it? “Getting away with murder” has been used so much
that we know it doesn't actually mean murder. One thing that causes that
scandal with Trump is that we knew he was literally bragging about sexually
assaulting people (that's in the first part of the quote too). Unfortuntaly
intent isn't magic. I consider you a friend (and my boss), so I know you're a
good guy, but plenty of people haven't met you and are gonna just have things
like this to try to figure out who you are....