Apr 21, 2023, 11:18 by 61sundow...@gmail.com:

> On 21/4/23 04:50, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:
>
>> bot proposal: shop values cleanup (low use values only, 1 used 250 times,
>> three over 100 times, many used less)
>>
>> For quite long time I am trying to use OSM-based products as Google
>> Maps replacement. One of major issues are POIs (in many apects). Small
>> part of that are POIs marked but in way that makes them unusuable
>> anyway.
>>

> A rendering issue.

Not only a rendering issue, when you search for tea shop and it was marked as
shop=herbata ("herbata" is Polish for tea) then even a well written search tool
will fail to reliably find it.

Also, rendering cannot be expected to shop=florist shop=flower shop=flowers
shop=florist2 shop=floristt shop=floorist shop=kwiaty shop=blumen and all
other possible variants (even if we do not care about feedback to mappers)

>> shop = chandler → shop = ship_chandler
>> shop = chandlery → shop = ship_chandler
>> shop = chandlers → shop = ship_chandler
>>

> A 'chandler' is a person who posses a shop that is a 'chandlery'. Boats are
> smaller than ships and more numerous.
>
> I would think 'shop=chandlery' is best as it applies to both boats and ships.

Either way I will leave it out of the list if that is not an obvious change.
(and I already removed this on)

>> shop = collectibles → shop = collector
>>
> No, shops these days do not sell people.

note https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dcollector
and anyway risk of confusion here that shop=collector sells people seems not
very likely
(and say https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dhairdresser )

I am not proposing here establishing shop=collector - for better or worse
it is established already

>> shop = unattended → shop = vacant
>> shop = for_rent → shop = vacant
>> shop = unused → shop = vacant
>> shop = vacancy → shop = vacant
>>
> These could be tagged disused:shop=* and retain the past use.

not really, as current tagging does not give info (and checking history does not
give info whether past equipment/sign/anything is still there, and it is not
important enough to open notes or bother people via changeset comments -
and shop=vacant can be reliably handled as empty shop
I could migrate to disused:shop=yes but in turn some people described
disued:shop=
as not fitting for shop space that was never used
)

>> shop = bazaar → shop = yes
>>

> Humm bazaar = a market in a Middle Eastern or Asian country. These usually
> consist of a number of shops .. May be better mapped as amenity=marketplace?

I though so - but all I checked were about individual shops. And shop=yes will
be
flagged for resurvey anyway

Can skip if it is in doubt

>> shop = sport → shop = sports
>>

> The secondary tag of 'sport=*' does  not have the 's' .. this may lead to
> errors. I'd retain 'shop=sport'.

note https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dsports - again, I am not
proposing introducing new shop value

>> shop = foods → shop = food
>>
> Foods .. usually more than one.

we also have established shop=food tag

>> shop = paints → shop = paint
>>
> Paints .. usually more than one.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dpaint is well established,
that is 14886 vs 10 uses right now

though if someone will convince OSM community to deprecate shop=paint and
switch to shop=paints then situation would be different

but until it happens having shop=paints is just confusing (such as questions
"this shop is tagged, why it is without icon?")

>> shop = door → shop = doors
>> shop = health_foods → shop = health_food
>> shop = locksmiths → shop = locksmith
>> shop = bathroom_furnishings → shop = bathroom_furnishing
>>
>> low use values based on review of other low use values with extra s,
>> this were not reviewed specifically
>>

> Most of thefollowing .. I'd reatin the 's' as they would sell more than one
> kind.

also when we have established s-less value?

>> shop = farm_stand → shop = farm
>>
> A 'stand' is a particular structure .. different from a retail building, so
> may require an additional tag 'building=stand' ???

I guess that someone can look anyway as shop=* not inside buildings...

> Hope that helps.

thanks for review!