Apr 22, 2023, 14:10 by ajt1...@gmail.com:

> On 21/04/2023 12:46, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:
>
>> when you search for tea shop and it was marked as
>> shop=herbata ("herbata" is Polish for tea) then even a well written search
>> tool
>> will fail to reliably find it.
>>

> Where something is an _absolute direct equivalent_ (but in another language)
> it makes no sense to use a distinct term (no-one's going to suggest
> "highway=autoweg" for motorways in the Netherlands, for example), but where
> there are genuine differences it does make sense to try and capture that
> somehow.

I agree, but what about cases where the same meaning may be represented by more
standard tags? Would you agree that for example

shop = dog_grooming → shop = pet_grooming pet = dog
shop = dog_beauty → shop = pet_grooming pet = dog
shop = disused:bakery → disused:shop = bakery
shop = pharmacy → amenity = pharmacy
shop = hookah_lounge → amenity = hookah_lounge

are helpful edits increasing usefulness and quality of OSM data (also when
done as automated bot edit - assuming that bot went through discussion)

> This also applies where English has borrowed a word that means something else
> elsewhere - for example, I bet all the "shop=boutique" at >
> https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/1u5H>  don't match the OSM wiki's definition, but
> do match the French meaning of the word "boutique", which means "shop".
>
> Even "poorly written" data consumers need to be aware of the data they are
> consuming.  With OSM, there is no single definition**. Someone trying to
> interpret data for the part of Togo that I linked above would surely say that
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/5001651960>  (tagged only
> "shop=boutique") is just "some sort of shop".

shop=boutique seems to be a bit different problem, basically
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunked_term that should be deprecated and not
used

> More generally, anyone with half a brain consuming OSM shop data (or
> actually, _any_ external data from _anywhere_) will look at the values
> contained in it***.

And that is exactly what lead to proposing this edits - I was writing code to
handle OSM
data and researched tagging situation. And one of[1] effects was discovering
numerous
cases of tags that seem to be exact duplicates of more standard ones, and
retagging
them seems to clearly improve OSM data as far as I can see

Every data consumers spending massive time on building own alias list for tags
and adding exceptions for say shop = disused:florist  does not seem to be a
superior solution to me - and for values listed here I think that bot edit is
better
than asking people in changeset comments or opening notes or doing nothing.

Though maybe for

shop = vaping → shop = e-cigarette
shop = vape_store → shop = e-cigarette
shop = vape → shop = e-cigarette
shop = Vape_Store → shop = e-cigarette

asking people in changeset comments who added this tags what they think about
shop = e-cigarette would  be a good idea? Rather then retagging in this
proposed
edit?

[1] other results included improvements of OSM Wiki, improvements of iD presets
like https://github.com/openstreetmap/id-tagging-schema/pull/884
"stop assuming that all shop=organic are supermarkets" that just got merged
and removed certain dubious deprecation and some discussions and
recommendations to use an alternative tagging.