*I object only to the tone of some of the comments, and to assumptions that
are made about our motivation, decision process re: our approach, and
quality of our skills. I'm not alone in objecting to problems of tone more
broadly, and so I feel comfortable insisting on a higher quality discourse
here on behalf of myself and the many others who share this concern. I
think that good forum etiquette requires that people assume the best and
ask clarifying questions. As well, there are several very commonly used
phrases and rhetorical devices that can be deployed to make 'advice' feel
like advice instead of condemnation or scorn. *

Tone is difficult it is cultural.  For example think about gun
control.  I think
Allen Mustard is one of the very few people on the list who comes anywhere
near a polite tone that is understandable by many.  The American ideas and
UK ideas are very different.  1066 might not mean much to many people but
it has a great deal of meaning to few.

Then you get to big city dwellers and small city dwellers.  Small
city dwellers tend to have longer greetings than big city dwellers.  In
some places it is perfectly acceptable to raise an eyebrow as a form of
greeting although it might seem odd to you.  Surveys on OSM on talk are
interesting, it seems everyone and his dog wants to run a survey about OSM
mappers and why they do it.  There is a concept called respondent burden or
"is this yet another survey?" which might explain the lack of enthusiasm
you may encounter.

There are many people here who don't have English as a first language.
Although some such as Americans think they do.  I live in Canada which is
to a large extent bilingual.  In the office we had a francophone who was
rated exempt for English oral.  I had a coworker who came from the UK not
many miles away from where I was born and one day we spoke using local
slang and she understood about one word in ten. We could even speak using
words she understood but lacked the references for their meaning.

OSM is a place where the importance is placed on the map.  Social skills
are not a job requirement and to be honest some of the most productive or
should I say obsessive mappers can be very black and white but they really
do great mapping and I think that is important.

Finally face to face is usually best for communication which is why I have
been known to persuade someone to go to Europe in person to a state of the
map when I wanted to pull something together but mailing lists serve a
purpose.

Cheerio John