My background was working with surveys and my comments simply came from
that background and the steps taken to obtain accurate results.  Nothing
else.

Typically a university run survey isn't done to high standards.

Your comment on questions from talk I think relates to the users.
OpenStreetMap roots are in open data and a desire to avoid proprietary
systems.  The old fogies, if you will, tend to use mailing lists, they do a
lot of editting and background work to make it run smoothly
disproportionately so.  Often they don't use the flavour of the month
online forum.

So if you ask in an online forum are on line forums great you'll get a
positive answer.  Those who don't think they are great won't use them.

If you ask in the talk mailing list you get a different set of respondents.

As I said before the selection of the sample is critical.  There is a story
told of an interviewer who surveyed passengers at a railway station about
gambling.  100% were in favour.  It was only later it was spotted she'd
interviewed people who were there to catch a special train to a race course.

So what exactly are you trying to measure?  Are you weighting the replies
against the number of edits the person has made?  Does a HOT mapper who has
made three edits count.  Remember that they will almost certainly have been
recruited through social media.

Then you get people who map quite happily by themselves or in a very small
group of two communicating one on one via email.  Not everyone feels the
need to group hug in an online forum.  The mapper I'm thinking of is exHOT
and prefers to quietly map parts of Africa that are basically unmapped.  We
do work together and communicate via email to decide which bit to map
next.  Remember HOT is very much working together and for some mappers this
doesn't work well.

So are you interested in a sample of OpenStreetMap mappers or a sample of
online forum mappers who are happy with Google forms as your sample?

There is a difference and as long as you don't say our survey says everyone
in OSM thinks this about online forums I'm happy and content.

Cheerio John