I guess what I really mean by sounding like me is that I'm no longer afraid to
NOT sound like Mike or Monroe or whomever. That was a big stumbling block for
me before, this idea that what I was doing had to sound like X recording or it
sucked...it took me a time to gain enough confidence to say that although it
didn't sound like Mike picking it, it sounded ok. I think it was Fred who
posted something on the Cafe to the effect of "just play as best as you can and
people will take notice...they don't realize the brass cajones it takes to do
it in the first place." That piece of advice sort of stuck with me. Sorry for
the paraphrasing.

That being said, I steal from Mike LIBERALLY..and pretty much from anyone I
hear that plays the style I like. Monroe, David Davis, Tony Williamson...etc.
What makes me sound like me is that I can't deliver it like any of these
gentleman do--I'll certainly never be mistaken for any of them...but it'll
pass. I learned to speak from listening to my Dad talk, but I don't consider
myself a Wallace Cantrell speaking stylist. I do my own thing..or try to,
anyway. It's not as if by playing a tune that someone else wrote, or in a style
that someone has developed, causes them to download into my skull until I'm
done...especially when it comes to improvisation. If someone asked any ten of
us to improvise on a tune, it would all be different....but it would certainly
have the brushing, rapid right hand and the minimalist fretting hand movements,
the hard, bluesy punctuations on the end of the passages...you know what I
mean.

Anyway, I bit off enough. I'll chew.

Also, peanut butter pie kicks ass.