The Bickford book goes into Duo and Trio a little, but I learned about
it by picking up a book at an antique store called "Etienne's Duo and
Trio mandolin"  It was put out by Oliver Ditson.  It explains a lot of
the playing style in written format.  There is lots of reading to go
along with the music.  That is a book I should really digitize.  The
old way of learning is so different.  Do it over and over and over in
different styles.  If anyone is interested maybe I should go about the
work of digitzing Etienne's.