Portugal is an idea, and I will do the strings;: I just use Addario J74's
which I think are phosphor bronze (it says 'Ricky Skaggs uses this pack', so
they must be good, right? ;-))

I might just be going through a patch of self-doubt, as other times I like
my tone, but I think it's also just hearing people playing really good
top-end instruments: mine is a Lebeda. I would like to go to Brighton to
play on some of the good stuff in Trevor's shop and see if the impression
that I have is real (and get tempted to spend money I don't have), but also
I know I need to work on a smooth, minimalist left hand and on getting all
of the 'air' out of the notes with my right.

Thanks for the comments- I'll keep plugging away.
Cheers
Robin