Hi Ron,

On 19 July 2000 at 22:17:00 GMT -0400 (which was 03:17 where I
live) [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote and made these points on the subject
of "S/MIME without Revealing Personal Data":

RM> I looked at thawte.com's site and they ask for a lot of personal
RM> information to provide a certificate.

RM> Is it possible to use TB's new S/MIME support for encryption
RM> without having to give age, social security number, etc.?

That  information  does  not  appear in the signature AFAIK. IMHO that
information  would be held against your key at Thawte. The whole point
of  a  key system that certifies you to be who you say you are is that
you *must* /absolutely/ identify yourself to the authority issuing the
certificate.  Without  that,  the trust in the certificates they issue
just collapses.

RM> All I would like to be able to do is encrypt messages, not have
RM> the message certify who I am in person.

Then I would suggest that you should use PGP encryption.

-- 
Cheers,
.\\arck

Marck D. Pearlstone, Consultant Software Engineer
Moderator TBUDL / TBBETA
www: http://www.silverstones.com
PGP key: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Body=GET%20MARCKKEY>

*-----------------------------------------------
| Using The Bat! 1.45 Beta/10 S/N 14F4B4B2
| under Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998  
*-----------------------------------------------

-- 
--------------------------------------------------------------
View the TBBETA archive at http://tbbeta.thebat.dutaint.com
To send a message to the list moderation team double-click HERE:
   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To Unsubscribe from TBBETA, double-click HERE:
   <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--------------------------------------------------------------


You are subscribed as : [email protected]


Reply via email to