On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 11:50:25AM -0500, Nick Danger wrote:
> While I don't doubt that takes place, is it really a major concern for
> most folks? Anybody snooping my email will be one bored snooper.
> Sure, I understand a concern for privacy but what could be a realistic
> figure of sent email that gets read enroute? Especially if you're just
> some schmoe sending it from a non-govermental/business facility? With
> the amount of email traffic these days I'd find it hard believe it
> could even be 1%.
Wrong way to think. You have to remember that in today's world with
computers they can scan a lot of text and select what is interesting. If you
think that 1% /could/ be scanned then you're mistaken. They can push it into
the high double percentile easily.
Do you filter your own email or does TB! do it for you? Then why do you
think there is someone sitting out there paging through each eamil? Sorry,
doesn't work that way.
It also represents bad thinking. "If you have nothing to worry about,
then what is the problem?" The problem is the history of individuals who have
taken advantage of tat power. Furthermore all it takes is bad laws to be
passed before that power is turned to something to be feared. We have had
examples of both in this nation many times over the past. That is the problem
with such a system. Everyone has something to worry about, it being used for
the wrong purposes.
--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
ICQ: 5107343 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.
-------------------------------+---------------------------------------------
--
--------------------------------------------------------------
View the TBBETA archive at http://tbbeta.thebat.dutaint.com
To send a message to the list moderation team double-click HERE:
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To Unsubscribe from TBBETA, double-click HERE:
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--------------------------------------------------------------
You are subscribed as : [email protected]