Er, hit the send button too quick...

>> For me the scroll-bars appear as soon as I start typing after moving the
>> cursor down or sideways.

>  That's the key, as soon as you start typing.  I think TB should
>  calculate the scroll bars based on cursor position (much like
>  spreadsheet programs do).  This shouldn't be hard since TB knows and
>  displays the cursor position anyway.

 Let me clarify.  I think TB should calculate scroll bars based on
 cursor position in addition to the existence of text.  Right now all
 this message fits on one screen for me.  If I hit page down, it is
 not immediately obvious that I still have text higher up.

 I just did a test.  I hit page down, no scroll bars.  I typed one
 character, and the scroll bars appeared.  I then deleted that
 character (backspace), scroll bars were still there.  I then hit page
 up, and the scroll bars still indicated that there was something
 further down.

 I think what is happening is that TB doesn't define the white area
 until you type something, although you can navigate to any point.  So
 when you type something, any preceding white space is then defined.
 But TB doesn't strip it again until the message is sent.  It appears
 that scroll bars are calculated on the defined space in a message.
 But this causes problems when the defined area fits completely into
 the window, and the scroll bars disappear.

 This complaint for the scroll bar behaviour is simply to reduce
 ambiguity.  With this free caret interface, the need to use the Home
 and End keys is much more prevalent.  On a keyboard like mine, that
 means the Page Up/Down keys are often hit simply due to slight
 overreach, (aka typist error).  Let me tell you, it is a bit
 unnerving to hit what you think is the End key, and find that all
 your text magically disappears.  It takes a while to realize that it
 still exists, especially the first few times it happens.

--
Thanks for writing,
 Januk Aggarwal

 Using The Bat! 1.46 Beta/3