On Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 17:39:18, Douglas Hinds wrote:

> But I am also a Linux user and strongly suggest that RIT Labs make
> an effort to port The Bat! to this superior Operating System,

As an advanced user of both Windows and Linux, I can only disagree
with Linux being superior - while it has it place, and it does some
things better than Windows, it's still far from being a good end-user
experience on a desktop, both from UI and management points of view.

>  so I
> can use it with with my OpenOffice, Opera, Chrome, Firefox,
> Seamonkey, Dr. Web and Nero versions for Linux (and other Unix-like Operating
> Systems).

OpenOffice.org, Opera, Chrome, Firefox and the Mozilla Suite were
designed from ground up to be portable. I don't know what Dr. Web is,
and the last time I looked at Nero, it was using an outdated GUI
library on Linux.

> As I understand it, porting Delphi to Linux is also possible and
> Windows will continue to lose ground as more computer users become
> aware of the advantages that Open Code Community Based OS's have to offer.

While there used to be Kylix, it was never really stable, and while
backend code could be used with not too many changes, the GUI would
have to be redone completely, which is a daunting task for a program
like The Bat (since it uses a lot of custom controls, some of which
are 3rd party; previously mentioned Opera had it's GUI code rewritten
from scratch when it started with serious cross-platform support in
version 7 - this is just not feasible for a small company like
RitLabs).

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

[ The Bat! 5.0.0.153 RC3 on Windows 7 6.1.7601.Service Pack 1 ]

It ain't necessarily so.
       -- Gershwin's Law