Hello Stefan,

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 16:34:29 +0200 GMT (15-Mar-21, 21:34 +0700 GMT),
Stefan Tanurkov via TBBETA wrote:

>>> Yes,  you  are  certainly  right.  A  plug-in  may be the way to go to
>>> satisfy everyone.

>> Thanks! I hope Stefan is reading this.

> I do read this. Yes, a good plug-in system is our long dreamed dream. As many
> probably know, the current plug-in system is based on compiled DLLs and it
> was not very popular through all years of its existence. This makes me
> thinking of developing a new way to extend The Bat! functionality...

First of all, thanks for listening!

> So, let's start a thread about plug-ins - please feel free to post anything
> you find suitable on this topic: views, wishes, concerns. I promise our team
> will read it carefully :-) (don't treat my smile like I'm joking, I just like
> to smile, but I am always serious about promises I make).

> Here is something for the start:
[...]

The top of my programming skills were when Turbo Pascal was the latest - we
used pointer types, the predecessor of OOP. I learned Java later, but that was
years ago. So I cannot say much or recommend anything about the technical
implementation.

> We plan to implement Python bridge for system-related functionality, Python
> is a popular language and it has a lot of libraries for working with OS,
> network and even AI and Big Data. Plus, it supports multithreading out of the
> box which is good for a multithreaded program like The Bat!

> For stuff inside message viewer, alternative message editor and other areas
> where we can use a Chromium-based view, we this of use of something similar
> to web browser extensions which means it will be JavaScript+HTML+CSS

> It will be possible to create custom  filter actions / conditions,
> viewer/editor commands, address book extension, template macros...

This sounds good, and I can indeed comment on functionalities!

I don't like the standard templates for New Message / Reply / Forward and have
to manually change them each time I create a new account (every orgnisations I
deal with, often in free lance work, wants me to have an email address at their
orgnisation, so this happens often). I don't know whether this would warrant a
plug-in, I just want to throw it in here.

> OK, this is what is in my head on this topic now. Community feedback is
> needed :-)

Let's brainstorm then!

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! Version 9.3.3 (64-bit)
under Windows 10.0 Build 19041

'Using TBBETA' information: