On 21 September 2001 at 6:11 pm Screwyluie wrote:

AS>> The obvious glitch is the 'menu navigator' button which, with the
AS>> default XP UI skin, appears distorted as the default XP buttons are 4
AS>> times the area of previous Microsoft OS buttons; I can provide a picture
AS>> if needed. (Other applications which introduce custom buttons into the
AS>> title bar of windows, such as the ATI multiple monitor tools, have the
AS>> same problem). I think this could probably be fixed fairly easily at the
AS>> moment.

> yeah I run XP and I know what you mean, altho not a big problem cuz
> didn't someone somewhere point out the menu navigator is only for the
> beta and will be taken out for the final?

It's quite a nice feature notwithstanding, particularly for beginners
who (I know) find TB rather intimidating ...

> another issue with it is, on mine at least, it's not always visible,
> the winXP gui tries to hid it so it comes and goes, sometimes it's
> there, sometimes it's not.

Strangely, today it seems to have decided to hide as you say (see PNG file
below - I couldn't capture it); if you hover the mouse over the
titlebar at the right place it does reappear though ...

AS>> Probably the worst appearance problem is the mixing of system and
AS>> on* the system fonts (MS Sans Serif and similar) suddenly look way out
AS>> of place. There are also lots of UI issues with, among other controls,
AS>> the icons and dialog box layouts not looking 'XP-like', but I presume
AS>> almost every Microsoft software developer is wrestling with the same
AS>> issues at the moment ...

> could you give a little more info as to how you have your fonts setup?
> I would like to see this since mine look fine

Picture:

http://www.btinternet.com/~thebrixton/tbxp.png

Note the difference between the folder pane (Tahoma, ClearType), the
preview pane (Andale Mono, ClearType) and the list of messages (MS
Sans Serif, non-ClearType); the column header, jumping from ClearType
to non-ClearType, is particularly affected.

The difference is very pronounced with a flat-panel monitor.

(Looking at XP applications it seems that the 'system font' is now
Tahoma, presumably so that ClearType is universal; MS Sans Serif
appears to have been banished ...).

Alastair