On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:06:12 -0500, Ron Mura [RM] wrote these
comments:
RM> This causes problems when both threading by subject and sorting by
RM> received date (in descending order) are used. Typically when you
RM> have a folder sorted by date you want to see new messages at the
RM> top, and that's the way it worked until beta 15.

RM> Now, if there is another message in the folder with the same
RM> subject, the new message gets "buried" under it. This can be a
RM> particular inconvenience in folders with large number of messages.
RM> I've to use View/Display/Only Unread messages just to find some
RM> new messages.

RM> Suggestion: If a folder is sorted by received date or created date
RM> in descending order, do not use the oldest message as the thread
RM> root, but rather use the NEWEST message as the root.

Hmmm. I see what you mean.

Before this new feature was introduced, I used to sort messages in
descending order of received time and the oldest message would start
the thread with the messages getting newer as I go down. This is my
personal preference and it works for me. Finding new messages doesn't
require digging since I just use the 'go to next unread message'
navigation option (CTRL-]).

I don't believe in imposing style on others and having the oldest
message *always* at the top of the thread, no matter the sorting order
chosen by dates (this is what appears to be the case after testing)
seems like a bad move to me. Are there those who would wish to sort in
*ascending* order of date and yet wish for the oldest message to be at
the top?

--
©Allie C Martin  --  List Moderator and fellow end-user
 PGPKey - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=PGPPubKey1