Hello Greg,

On Wednesday, June 11, 2003 at 08:59 GMT -0500, a creature mimicking
Greg Strong [GS] wrote:

<snip>
GS> You were close on the AB entry, but not totally correct. After running
GS> the 'Full Name' QT the output received was "Strong, Greg (Rr-Ml)".
<snip>
GS> I'll have to learn more about RegEx and macros to understand why
GS> the 'M' is being picked up.

That one is easy.  The regexp in the initials QT looks for a dash,
underscore, equals sign, at symbol, period or whitespace as the
delimiters for a word.  Additionally the initial must be a valid
alphanumeric character (a-z, A-Z, 0-9).  So the parentheses are
treated as neither a word delimiter nor a valid initial, so the R is
skipped.  That leaves the M.  I could add parentheses to the list of
valid delimiters, but I don't think it is worthwhile.  After all, how
often does someone have a real part of their name in parentheses?

Now you could argue that I should ignore anything in quotes,
parentheses or some other marking scheme.  I could try to do that, but
it would add a tremendous level of complexity for very little gain.
That and it would be a lot of work to try and get such an expression
to be as robust as the current one.

GS> Any better ideals on how to differentiate my different email accounts so
GS> I don't mess up the macros?

You could modify the full name QT to better suit your needs if you
wanted.  You don't *have* to pull the name from the address book.  In
fact, it might be preferable to *not* do that.  That's personal
taste.

JA>> [1] Syntax may have changed slightly, but from a quick glance, they
JA>> look the same.

GS> Since Beta/8 things kind of went astray. So from posts to this list I've
GS> made changes.

Yes, but only in syntax.  From my quick glance, the structure and
logic appear to be unchanged.

--
Thanks for writing,
 Januk Aggarwal

Using The Bat! 1.63 Beta/10 under Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A

 Current beta is 1.63b10 | "Using TBBETA" information: