hello NetVicious!

on Friday, March 5, 2004, 4:27:40 PM, you wrote:
>> no - i just told about my very personal opinion, that such
>> complex preferences dialogues should be made with radio buttons
>> instead of drop-down lists..
N> The problem it's the size of the window.
you can solve that problem in other ways..

N> Combo-boxes   are used to save visual space. The problem should be the
N> software you're using to "read" the windows.
isn't that a bit ignorant. user interfaces are about ergonomics.
ergonomics is about making something usable for humans. because
you can't easily update humans (yet ;) ) you should adjust the
software.

IMHO, the preferences panel, although much better than the old
one, is - a mess.

have a look at options|preferences|system - a mishmash; i mean
what is "system" in a mail reader anyway? ok, setting the message
base path is "system" - but auto-completition? and using system
sounds? and the font in the folder tree?

options|preferences|applications - yes, that belongs to system -
but has it's own page..

and character sets - system..

and system keys? ;))

i think someone at ritlabs should sit down and reorganize the
preferences panel completely.

someone who used opera until 6.x (if i remember correctly) knows,
how terrible a messy preferences panel is - and what a relief
came with opera 7.. i wish i could have that feeling with the
bat.

and a last argument - how often do we read (or ask ;) ) "i want
THAT feature in the bat" - and how often is the answer "go to
"Options|Prferences|Obscure" and there you can toggle it!"?

PAT
--

PGP fingerprint: DAC6 2FDA 1ED7 AD55  BD1F 5142 3D5F 72BF

 Current beta is (none) | 'Using TBBETA' information: