On Monday, May 30, 2005 @ 9:29:32 PM [-0700], Kevin Menard wrote:

>> > Are they so interested in "context" that they want to see read
>> > messages mixed among the unread messages in their Unread tab folders?
>>
>> I am.

> Many people have stated this, but other than my initial discussion
> with Allie, no one has indicated whether showing only unread messages,
> except if they're in a thread is a valid solution.  That way you'd
> still have your context, but you wouldn't be seeing threads that have
> no new messages added.

I use the current "Unread" tab under my folder tree exactly as I
interpret it...to view only the _folders_ that have unread messages in
them. And why not? It's a tab under my _folder_ tree. The tabs are
different views of _folders_, not messages. Now, if there was a tab
under my message list that said "Unread", I'd expect it to show only the
_messages_ marked as unread.

That said, your solution sounds good to me. I'd vote for it!

> Any thoughts on this?  No offense, but the "me too" posts aren't
> really adding much to the discussion.

None taken. But it wasn't really an official aol-like "me too". It was
an answer to his question. Sure his was probably a rhetorical question
but it stirred enough of an emotion in me to hit F4 and answer it.

--
Matt