Hello Wolffe & everyone else,

on 04-Dez-2006 at 23:52 you (Wolffe) wrote:

> Both 07 and 08 failed. Am back to 06 again. Below is a log extract
> for both a good and a failure, trimmed and cleaned for brevity:

good connection:

> [17:38:20]  C: EHLO CRICKET

no connection:

> [17:42:53]  C: EHLO localhost

A lot of ISPs are blocking the connection if the sending SMTP client is
sending a HELO of "localhost", "friend", "127.0.0.1", etc. because they
are a typical identifier for botnet zombies.

I just verified this. TB is sending "EHLO localhost" here as well. Thats
definitely a very bad idea, it should use the machine name (or even
better, the identifier for the HELO state should be configurable). I'm
glad that my provider doesn't use HELO blocking yet.

https://www.ritlabs.com/bt/view.php?id=6111

Good catch, Wolffe!

 Alexander (http://www.neurowerx.de)

An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world. A pessimist
fears that this is true.