Hello Gary,

Wednesday, May 16, 2007, 21:46:34, you wrote:

>>B and D only allows me to send and receive packets securely. Since I still
>>can into the server by authentication using A and C, what difference does it
>>make?

>>     Answer:                NONE

Confidentiality, integrity and availability as the fundamental security
characteristics of information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_Triad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_security#Confidentiality.2C_integrity.2C_availability

TLS assures confidentiality and integrity of the information.

Confidentiality means that nobody in transit (that has access to the data
channel) can read your messages while your are retrieving them via TLS.
Integrity in email means that nobody in transit can alter your messages, i.e.
modify the contents of the messages, inject false messages, remove legitimate
messages, etc. while your are retriving them via TLS.

So I do not agree that there is no difference between BD and AC.

If you are using TLS with expired or otherwise invalid certificates, this means
that there is no actually TLS and confidentiality and integrity is no longer
assuered, so the malicious person that has access to data channel can read
and/or modify the messages while you are retrieving them.

Maxim Masiutin                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]