Hi Peter,

and first of all thank you for all the information about this character
set stuff you are providing. Very interesting and also helpful.

> Sure: for e-mail there is a method to declare the used character set,
> but not for text files ... And if used commonly for text products, why
> stick with an old system for e-mail? :-) So: let's switch and show the
> world: we're not dinosaurs, we use not only a modern MUA, but also see
> the advantages of a modern character encoding system ;-)

I also like being a pioneer and I also like it using new fancy stuff. So I
fully agree with your words.

But is this the right thing to do? The question is what charset is the
best to use to be compatible with most of the other guys on the internet.
I'm not talking about Windows 95 users who might run into problems but I'm
talking about "normal" users with Outlook (Express) or Thunderbird or
webmail client users. Do most of the modern mail clients support UTF-8 and
is this the first choice for mail encoding or should we stick a little bit
longer to ISO-8859?

--

Regards,
Martin

The Bat! v4.0.18.6 powered by Windows Server "Longhorn" Server 4.0 6.0 Build
6001 Service Pack 1

ConCarne cooks best since 1998
http://www.concarne.org