Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:11:42 -0800 (6:11 PM EST here) Januk Aggarwal wrote:

> On Friday, January 9, 2004 at 12:49 GMT -0600, dancing erupted as
> Terry L Fritts tapped:

>>> involve a short plugin macro that just reads & returns the info
>>> from the Windows registry (it must be there somewhere).  I haven't
>>> yet attempted to learn how to make plugins, so that's why I sent
>>> Dan here.

>> can be obtained from registry - see:
>> "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation"

> Dan,
> you can use the MyMacros plugin,
> <http://en.barin.com.ua/soft/mymacros/>. Specifically, the %RegRead
> macro would seem to be your best bet. You can get the ActiveTimeBias
> registry entry:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation\ActiveTimeBias

> That should give you the offset in minutes.  From there, you can use
> a simple %IF statement to convert it into either the standard time
> or daylight time acronym.

> It'll be much easier than the complicated mess of templates we had
> before.

Thanks Terry and Januk for starting me thinking again.

The downloaded MyMacros plugin's %RegRead did make the whole local
time zone thing MUCH more straightforward. Then I started thinking
about the "AOL anomaly." I decided that the AOL anomaly really was the
Dan Grunberg anomaly.

I changed my system of templates, eliminating the "GMT" that used to
appear in: