Hi there!

On 17 Oct 99, at 19:35, Thomas Fernandez wrote
    about "Re[2]: OT: Laguanges and names, rea":

> I really don't know why everybody thinks all langauges of the world
> should be squeezed into the English alphabet. Look at Vietnamese: it
> looks awful now! And really, even though they use 28 latin letters,
> they still have to mke "special effects" and at the end, you still
> don't know how to pronounce it. How do you pronounce this "o" with the
> little tick-mark? No, every language has the alphabet/character set
> most suitable for it. And why not?

I don't know, why not... But now and then you just fall into all
kinds of problems with non-Latin alphabet... Just remember
how it works with Russian:
for years we had a codetable for Russian ("alternative"), then
IBM comes and changes this a bit and calls it "CP866", then
somebody else comes and modifies it a bit and calls "ISO-8859-
5", then Apple comes and makes a completely new "Russian
Mac" codetable, then there is a "Unix Russian" KOI8-R --- and
M$ comes and invents CP1251 and releases Windows and
makes CP866 Windows OEM (DOS console) codetable and
CP1251 Windows ANSI (GUI applications) codetable...... And
now many people cannot understand each other....

And M$ strikes again and releases Word'97, which *cannot*
read Russian documents saved with Word 6 and *sometimes*
cannot read Russian documents saved with Word'95....

And now we all see clearly that "the light at the end of tunnel" is
very probably the head light of the upcoming train:-)))

SY, Alex
(St.Petersburg, Russia)
--
Thought for the day:
  Help stamp out, eliminate, and abolish redundancy!

---
PGP public keys on keyservers:
0xA2194BF9 (RSA);   0x214135A2 (DH/DSS)
fingerprints:
F222 4AEF EC9F 5FA6  7515 910A 2429 9CB1 (RSA)
A677 81C9 48CF 16D1 B589  9D33 E7D5 675F 2141 35A2 (DH/DSS)
---