Monday, October 18, 1999

Hello Thomas,

Monday, Monday, October 18, 1999, you wrote:

Thomas> Hi tracer,

Thomas> on Monday, October 18, 1999, 12:09:55 PM, tracer wrote:

Thomas>>> Every script has drawbacks when you want to use it for another
Thomas>>> language. ;-)

t>> I know but here in Thailand it must be about the only place where they
t>> try to make a language which is quite irregular when it comes to the
t>> way things are written/pronounced, regular... problem is for instance
t>> Than, Tani, Tanee and whatever being used for the same thing.
t>> Or Thanon, tanon  whatever for street. The good thing is that Thai
t>> postal office employees are masters in recognising screwed up
t>> addresses...

Thomas> The problem is not Thai, but English. "Thanon" is spelled to-tung,
Thomas> no-noo, no-noo. Thani is spelled to-tong, sara ah, no-noo, sara ih.
Thomas> How to trans-scribe this into English, is up to everybody's taste,
Thomas> because there is no recognized standard. After all, it would be only
Thomas> for the "illiterate farangs", so who cares... ;-)

The problem is not Thai, not English, its THAIS.
I donot care but there is an official standard, seemingly inherited from
the Vietnam  period produced by the peace  corps from the USA.
Anything official follows those rules and had as consequence that my son,
whose name is RAAD ended up in a passport with the name RAT.
NOT funny (g).

t>> Anyway, drop me pls that suitable Thai font you said you had.
t>> Its a non proportional TT font correct??

Thomas> Yes; I already sent it to you yesterday by attachment to mail. It's
Thomas> called DbThaiText Fixed. If yo9u didn't receive it, I will send it
Thomas> again in the evening (I don't have it here in the office).

I didnt sofar. Ok, so its a DB font, I checked a collection of some
1000 fonts I have and its not in there but, I see very few DB fonts so
they must have been mislaid somewhere.

Thomas> ....And for those who were wondering why this thread is still "on" the
Thomas> lsit: I believe that it is important for a truely international email
Thomas> client to know about the problems that arise if you use langauges
Thomas> other than English. I believe the European langauges and Russian have
Thomas> been taken care of by the developers, but we are only boiling down on
Thomas> the problem with Asian languages. I hope that's OK.

Not only that, if its usable as an email program under either Thai
windows/English windows with Thai, it means  more users.

Best regards,

tracer

files attached:
<none>