Hello Thomas Fernandez,

On Monday, November 22, 1999, 16:20:20 (GMT +07:00) you told us:

TF>>> I  feel  that  the Exchange server means "not recognized in this
TF>>> domain"  in  both  cases,  and  never  tries  to  send  it  into
TF>>> cyberspace.

SH>> This is setting in "Relay Control" at Internet Mail Connector.
SH>> The  default  setting  for Exchange MTA is to accept or reject message
SH>> came to them, if match the domain list = accepted otherwise rejected.

TF> It  does  not reject the server name. It just doesn't recognize an
TF> email  address  as  Real  Name <user@domain> but uses Real Name as
TF> user  under  its own domain. If there is no Real Name, it uses the
TF> full address as user name under its own domain. Thus it says "this
TF> user does not exist here", which is the only reason for rejection.

Yes,  that is Exchange behaviour. If message receive from Local Domain
(legitimate  via  Authenticate  POP or IMAP), the server will check to
his  user  database, if none he will generate bounce message "user not
exist",  unless  you  set  in  routing  list  to  where you must route
"unknown user".

TF> It  does  not  reject  because  the domain of the recipient is not
TF> accepted.

See above.

SH>> In  my  case  all  message  came from POP3 or IMAP set to route via my
SH>> Relay  Host (i.e. My Mdaemon Mail Server). Please check to the routing
SH>> table in Internet Mail Connector.

TF> I have no problem with the POP server, only with the SMTP server.

Indeed.
I  guess  your  Server  have  no  Relay  Host. In most corporate user,
Exchange  Server put in the DMZ zone and use SMTPServer that came with
NT  Option  Pack  for  Relay  Host  (in my case, I am using Mdaemon to
filter/parsing  all  inbound/internet  mail  is true for our domain or
not).

TF>>> So  I  can  send  messages  only  to  users  within  the  domain
TF>>> "aafi.com.tw"  with  The  Bat!. Colleagues using Outlook have no
TF>>> problems sending to the outside world.

SH>> Outlook with Exchange transport ? Of course no problem.

TF> <g>  But  I  still  advertise  how wonderful TB is, especially for
TF> those  who  have  a  private  email  address  in addition to their
TF> company email on the Exchange server...

Well,  I  am using Exchange Server only for testing purpose, so I just
count on your comment.

TF>>> Something  wrong  in my TB settings, as you said you have tested
TF>>> it successfully?

SH>> Yes, see header of this message, I send this message via Exchange.

TF> OK,  clarify  for  the  stupid guy (that's me): Is there something
TF> wrong with my settings in TB, or is there something wrong with the
TF> settings of the Exchange server?

No  problem  with  your setting, nor your Exchange Server. Just need a
trick  if  exchange  user  want  to  use SMTP/POP Mail Client. Perhaps
clarification  of  "Routing"  in  Internet  Mail  Connector needs more
digging up (such affecting "Open Relay" etc).

--
- syafril -

Name    : Syafril Hermansyah     | Company : Duta Integrasi Pratama
Mailto  : [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | Voice   : (62) (21) 385-1600
URL     : www.dutaint.co.id      | FAX     : (62) (21) 351-9241

I am using The Bat! 1.38 Beta/2 (reg) under
Windows NT Workstation 4.0 built 1381, Service Pack 6

Created : Monday, November 22, 1999, 17:09:54 (GMT + 07:00)