This may be a little wordier than most posts, but I will try to state
the issue and get to the point: What I want to do with TB! and why I
want do it, and I would appreciate other TB! users comments regarding
filtering and the way I use (and want to use) e-mail. First of all I'd
like to compare the concept I have of managing email with that of
other users in similar situations. Maybe someone has an alternative or
more efficient concept, in relation to my needs. My idea is this:

1).- I get more email than I want, too much to use ticker, since
sometimes (particularly when I'm really busy) much of it is never
opened.

2).- However, I need to see it all when it comes in, and not have to
look around for it. Since there are multiple accounts, mail from all
of them should probably be actively filtered to ONE inbox (not yet
done), and then either actively or manually filtered to
subdirectories.

If filtering from the main inbox is active, this means that there's
either enough of it to make it worth the effort to check the
subdirectory separately (as I do for all TBUDL mail, which goes
directly to it's own folder and is too much to use the ticker on), or
that it's something I don't need to see in a timely way). A ticker
would be useful to the degree it could be activated and deactivated
easily, and would be more useful if programmable for only new
messages, within a given time frame.

If filtering was manual, I could see it all as it came in and activate
the filter at the point the I had either seen that mail or that there
was so much of it that it made the inbox very slow to load or was just
in the way.

  [Jesus Christ. While I'm typing this, somehow a set of keystrokes
  inadvertently triggered the ticker on. I swear. (Can that thing know
  when it's being talked about)? And my system *freezes* and the
  graphics from all my open window become garbled, while the thing
  tries to come on to finally tell me that there are 2734 pieces of
  new mail waiting to be read].

So: I want to see almost all of it when it comes in and manually move
certain items to special folders, before filtering manually. In
isolated cases it may be feasible to filter directly (actively) to a
given folder and have that folder's ticker on, making sure the bulk
folders tickers are off. (I just checked the main inbox and it's
ticker is *not* activated).

What I really want is to activate a given filter at whatever point I
need or want to do that, and *not* have to filter the whole main inbox
with all filters at once. I may just want to filter on items from
certain sources, while leaving the rest for the time being.

I understand that filters can be active, manual only or both according
the options given, but I *can't* say I understand how a filter can be
both manual only *and* active + manual only, so someone may want to
clarify that.

As far as I can see, to filter manually, you choose "re-filter" from
the folder menu and that does them *all* for that folder.

In any case, I see a need for activating a given filter without having
to activate a number of them all at once, as seem to be the case at
present. I am assuming that there is no way to do that - but that is
the reason for this post: To make sure that there isn't a way and if
there is, to determine how to do that.

Also, if this can't be done, to determine if others share my point of
view regarding the need for this, and lastly, to check my general
concept of email use against that of others. Sorry for any
redundancies, but I try to make sure I've said what I meant to say.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Douglas Hinds