Hi Paula Ford,

On Montag, 13. Dezember 1999 at 9:41:26 you wrote:

PF> On Monday, December 13, 1999, Thomas Fernandez wrote:

PF>>> Normally, I agree, but cancelling out of the purging of a database
PF>>> can be a very tricky business.

>> That may be. So, how about this: when you hit the Cancel button, the
>> current purge will still be performed and the "cancel" effective right
>> after?

PF> The original posters didn't want to wait for the purging to end. That
PF> was the point. :)

I'm the original poster and that isn't quite true ;) I had the purging
configured  to  run  automatically  at program end, but as it took too
much  time,  I  switched  it  off again. I don't really care, as I can
easily  start  the process manually every one or two days. My question
was  just whether there is any rational explanation of why the process
window  has  to be system modal (above all other windows), which keeps
me from continuing to work with other programs.

As to the difficulty of stopping the process... Some arguments:

1) I can even stop the defragmenting of my disc nowadays.
2) I hope there is some mechanism in the purging process that protects
   me  from complete data loss in the event my computer crashes during
   the  process.  Maybe  there isn't, but then there should definitely
   be,  given  the amount of time the process takes. So this mechanism
   could be used to make cancel the process anytime, too.

Oliver Sturm

--
Oliver Sturm / <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Key ID: 71D86996
Fingerprint: 8085 5C52 60B8 EFBD DAD0  78B8 CE7F 38D7 71D8 6996