Tuesday, December 14, 1999, 3:19:28 PM, Leif wrote:
> <soapbox>
> Because the subscriber base of TBUDL and TBBETA is so diverse
> demographically, I made it a rule when I started these two UDLs that
> profanity is not allowed.

    [snippage]

> </soapbox>

<soapbox>
    There is no such thing as profane speech, only profane context.  I
guarantee that any unacceptable "word" that people come up with I pretty much
can say in a context where it isn't profane.  Conversely, I can take words
which are, in and of themselves, "completely innocent" and throw insults out
that are worse than anything that anyone could do with "bad" words.

    Please, don't perpetuate this fallacy that words, in and of themselves,
somehow are "good" or "bad".

    ObExample: There never has existed such a cesspool as the one that exists
between his ears.

    Anyone care to translate that into what I'm saying?  It is a sentence of 5
words.

</soapbox>