Hi there!

On 17 Mar 00, at 4:59, Andrey G. Sergeev (AKA Andris wrote
    about "Re: Using Macros for header (%RETUR":

> AVK>> Note the _absence_ of the return-path: field. The latter field is added by the
> AVK>> "transport system that deliveres message to the recipient", not by the
> AVK>> originator (in this case, me, or, better to say, TB;-))
>
> MW> It is strange that _TB_ set the return-path...
>
> Don't worry, this field can be changed by MTA on the way your mail goes.

... and very probably it *will* be changed;-)

> MW> (C) The problem - _my_ problem :-) is that my provider reject mails
> MW> which "return-path" is not the "From:"-address to avoid spamming or other ugly
> MW> things.

Are you sure? I'd think, they are checking the following two:
1. the address stated in the argument of MAIL FROM command of the SMTP
envelope (this actually _is_ the return path of course);
2. the address stated in the From: header of your outgoing messages;

and they reject the messages for which these two differ.

I've heard more then once that GMX.de uses this practice, which is IMHO
quite idiotic anyway and does nothing but brings problems to their users. You
could probably discuss this matter with their tech-support, if you so wish.

But this implies that you should NOT worry about the Return-Path: header.
Nobody AFAIK would base the anti-relay measures on this header;-)

> Really? Seems to be strange. The common ISP practice is to check the
> following:
>
> 1. An IP address from which you are trying to connect to their servers;
> 2. HELO or EHLO commands argument;
> 3. MAIL FROM command argument;
> 4. RCPT TO command argument.

...and the two headers contents: From: and Reply-to:. Almost every
combination of these 6 parameters has been reported to be used...

--
SY, Alex
(St.Petersburg, Russia)

---
PGP public keys on keyservers:
0xA2194BF9 (RSA);   0x214135A2 (DH/DSS)
fingerprints:
F222 4AEF EC9F 5FA6  7515 910A 2429 9CB1 (RSA)
A677 81C9 48CF 16D1 B589  9D33 E7D5 675F 2141 35A2 (DH/DSS)
---