Hello users,

Just a friendly reminder of the list rules on Off-Topic stuff.

OT:  Stands for Off-Topic.
SOT: Stands for SLIGHTLY Off-Topic... Not SERIOUSLY Off-Topic.

Please use the former for *very* short (I don't want to use the word
thread, but I guess it'll do) threads. We realize that sometimes
off-topic posts are needed by people for help on things when they
don't know where else to turn, or for an FYI thing that the poster
believes is important ** This does not include the latest virus
warning your next door neighbor sent to you along with 700 other
recipients, nor does it include the latest warnings about drugged
kidney removals in Las Vegas or somesuch **.  :^)

We allow the occasional OT threads, but please remember that many
subscribers to TBUDL pay for their connection by bandwidth, and not a
flat monthly fee. The more junk they have to download, the more it
costs them.

As for SOT topics, this is getting a little abused, or confused.
Slightly Off-Topic posts/threads are things that relate to TB, but
aren't necessarily about TB.

For example, server timezone issues, discussions of different e-mail
software, discussions of RFCs etc.

The line between SOT and on-topic posts is difficult to distinguish
sometimes, because things like RFCs do affect TB directly, but a good
rule of thumb is if you didn't use the word TB or The Bat in the
message, then it's most likely SOT.

The only reason that SOT exists, is to let fellow subscribers know
that they won't be missing anything fundamentally important to TB by
skipping the thread.

We're not going to nitpick over whether something is SOT or not, but
threads like "SOT: Replacement for M$'s Word?" are clearly OT and not
SOT.

My main point in this whole shebang, is to please be considerate of
your fellow subscribers.

Thanks.

Leif Gregory

--
TBUDL/TBBETA List Moderator
ICQ 216395 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Using The Bat! 1.42 Beta/17 under Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
on a Pentium III 500 MHz notebook with 128MB.

Tagline of the day:
A fine is a tax for doing wrong.  A tax is a fine for doing well.