Hello Thomas Fernandez,
On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 20:17:12 +0800 GMT your local time,
which was Wednesday, April 26, 2000, 7:17:12 PM (GMT+0700) my local time,
Thomas Fernandez wrote:

> Hi Tony,

> On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 12:57:32 +0100GMT (26/04/2000, 19:57 +0800GMT),
> Tony Boom wrote:

TB>>   Your probably right. Simon gave a contextual explanation but in
TB>>   England (Supposedly the hardest language to learn)

> Obviously. "England" is the country, "English" is the language. Don't
> laugh, there are enough languages (for example Thai) that don't
> distinguish between the two. Both is "Angkrit" in Thai, and I taught
> many a Thai the difference between "engLAND" and "engLISH" in the
> England language. ;-)

NOPE, you tried.
If you saw the high school books in Thailand you would have seen they
teach them by lists and exceptions (!) why English spelling is
regular...
NO way to change that as that stuff is al pirated (oops translated) by
guys in high positions which cannot be mentioned (g)
and Thomas knows what that means here (g).

Obviously all explainable if one  had been at a party in Washington
where a drunken Chevalit (ex PM of Thailand) tried to explain why Thai
education was silly: it keeps the inhabitantants stupid, pay them $20
and they vote for you...

> However, English is still very easy as you don't have any
> declinations, conjugations, and other niceties that German, Finnish
> and I believe Russian have. And talking about meanings of words
> changing with the context - English is again easy, this time compared
> to Chinese. ;-)

I can order myself a nice Chines meal in Chinese (asuming they have
what I ask) and I can read  the numbers....
GREAT help in shopping (g)

In several Singapore shops I knew the codes...

> English couldn't have become such a big language if it wasn't easy.

Best regards,

tracer
--

Using theBAT 1.42 Beta/19 with Windows 98
mail to : [EMAIL PROTECTED]