Hi Allie Martin,

On Saturday, May 13, 2000 at 3:01:00 PM you wrote:

> The advantage of a download URL is that of control. The recipient may do
> the download whenever they wish and not have their e-mail flow disturbed
> by a large attachment. Most e-mail applications do not have an e-mail
> dispatcher as TB!'s either.

I  leave  everybody  her  own  choice  and  you  won't ever receive an
application  update  from  me  by  mail. But the disadvantages of using
download urls are several:

- customers might be to plain dumb to do it

- customers will destroy their setup of dial-up and internet explorer
  on a regular basis. If they don't, one of Microsoft's setup programs
  will do it for them.

- customers  will  tell  me several months after the update: "well, I
  thought  I  wouldn't  _have_  to  download  the update. If it was so
  important, why didn't you mail it?"

- I  still think it's the best of support to initiate actions from my
  (the developer's) side. It's something else to have a developer take
  care  of  my issues without me doing anything. I'd certainly like it
  if more companies would send updates by mail, at least on request. I
  couldn't  care  less  about _when_ I download some software. And I'm
  talking  about commercial projects and many-bucks-support contracts,
  so  there  are  many people who just expect support to be like this.
  Those  are  the same people who have the tv repair service get their
  set from their homes, and of course bring it back, too.

Of  course I'm talking about _my_ customers and not about all of them,
too.  This  is  my  experience,  partly  based  on  the broad basis of
computer knowledge in my society, which is, ahem, low.

Oliver Sturm

--
God is real, unless declared integer.
--

Key ID: 71D86996
Fingerprint: 8085 5C52 60B8 EFBD DAD0  78B8 CE7F 38D7 71D8 6996